Friday, April 30, 2010

I thought SIMUN was a good experience. I got the chance to interact with Global Ed students that are older than I am. The country I had was Egypt. Egypt was only directly included in one scenario, but I still had a good time. I liked dressing up and seeing all of my friends dressed up too. Also, during a couple of our scenarios, two countries kept arguing back and forth about who was right and who was wrong. I thought it was interesting to see how into it the older kids got. Also, I can’t wait to be a senior so I can be in the legal counsel. Also, now I have an idea of what MAMUN might be like, so I might do it next year.
I think that I did pretty good for my first year participating in SIMUN. At first I was nervous to stand up and talk in front of people that I had just met five minutes ago, but I knew that I had to do it or else my grade could suffer. The first day I did two speeches: one on my own, and the second was to tell everyone else about an update that I had secretly gotten. The second and third days, I knew what to expect and what I should do, so I asked more questions and did a speech both of those days too. I think overall I did pretty good and I’ll do even better next year.
In order to prepare for SIMUN, I had to do a lot of research. First, I had to research my country’s history and write about it. Then, I had to do research for the four questions that we had to answer. I found this part challenging because it was hard to find the information that you needed, and to pick out the important facts compared to the stuff that was not necessary. The last thing I did was I found my allies. When we were practicing I realized that I had no idea who they were so that night I went home to find out that my only main ally was Russia. Knowing that Russia was my ally really helped me out a lot when it came to caucusing and picking a side.
Next year I plan to research my country and its history more. Also, I am not going to be so nervous to do speeches. I want to do more speeches, and ask more questions. Another thing I want to do, is to do better on the research questions we have to do because I now know what is expected of me, and since I won’t be a freshman anymore, I will have to be more involved so that the incoming freshman will look up at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment